Friday, November 8, 2013

Revisions and Moving On

I've discovered that I don't like doing revisions.  I'm not talking about editing as I'm writing--those changes to the text that come to you when you're in the writing groove.  I like those, to me it's a sign that I'm doing something right.  No, I'm talking about going back and fixing all the things that didn't work in the first draft or the second draft or even the third draft.

It's not that I think that every word that I write is golden (actually, I'd say that most of what I write should never be seen by anyone else).  It's that sometimes I don't even know where to go with what I need to change.  That's actually the problem with all the snippets that I've posted on this blog so far.  I know, for example, that the Claire Epistolary needs a lot of work to make it more readable (though some of that is the character's style, so I'm not entirely certain how much will actually change).  Also, the Fairy Tale is a complete mess--it needs a longer introduction and somewhere in the middle it bogs down into incoherency.  To be honest, there's so much work that needs to be done on it, I don't even know where to begin.

That being said, sometimes you have to move on.  I know that the vignette I posted last week wasn't perfect, but sometimes you have to accept that something is as good as it's going to get so that you can move on to the next project.

Hopefully, the next time I post, I'll have a revision or maybe just a new bit of writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment